Friday 14 March 2008

mobile phones - curse or necessity?

How did we ever survive without mobile phones? True they have become an extension of our arms and we wd miss it almost as much as the hand that holds it BUT why is it illegal to use a mobile whilst driving but it is not illegal to walk down the street paying equally little attention to where we are and what's going on around us? I have just had a woman so engrossed in her mobile phone conversation she simply strolled into the road without even looking over her shoulder for a second to see if there was a car coming. I was turning into a petrol station for god's sake, there's a pretty good chance there will be a car there but she never even paused at the side of the road or looked around her. She was strolling slowly across the road so I lightly honked her to say excuse me I wd like to use the road. Instead of acknowledging someone else in the universe and just moving a little faster, she stopped in front of me and started shouting at me about what I thought I was doing. I shouted back one simple phrase - Look where you're going! She continued to shout various things at me and I simply repeated the same line. A few years ago there was a campaign to stop white van man from parking badly as they do called Pavements are for People. Does the same not apply then that roads are for cars? If we drove up on the pavement it wd be wrong but people just wandering in front of cars on the road is okay is it? Can we now start a campaign to teach people that mobile phone calls made by pedestrians are every bit as dangerous as if you're driving!!!!!!!

No comments: