Tuesday 9 December 2008

Arrest over ME campaigner's death

The mother of a prominent ME sufferer and campaigner has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of her severely ill daughter.

Kay Gilderdale, 54, was questioned and released on police bail after the death of Lynn Gilderdale, 31, on Thursday. Sussex Police were called to Ms Gilderdale's home in Stonegate, East Sussex, at about 0830 GMT. Ms Gilderdale had been campaigning for a better understanding of ME, which she contracted about 17 years ago. Her family, who issued a statement through Sussex Police, said: "Lynn was young, beautiful, loving and caring.

"At the age of 14 years she was struck down by ME - an illness greatly misunderstood - and, as a result, suffered the stigma attached to this dreadful illness. She fought long and hard for 17 years with immense bravery, enduring constant pain and sickness. Every system of her body was affected."

Ms Gilderdale required 24-hour care, but still had time for others, her family said."She was a much-loved daughter, sister and granddaughter who, despite her illness, always gave love and support to others," they continued. "In life Lynn strove to help the medical profession improve their insight into ME, which affects thousands of people in varying degrees of severity."

TB vaccination
Rother district commander Ch Insp Heather Keating said: "This is a very tragic incident, but we are not looking for anyone else in connection with it." Mrs Gilderdale has been bailed until 6 March, 2009. Her daughter fell ill after receiving a vaccination for TB when she was 14-years-old. She then went on to have bronchitis, tonsillitis and glandular fever, before being diagnosed with ME. The condition, which is also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, often left her unable to get out of bed. The ME Association estimates that 250,000 people are affected by the condition in the UK.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/sussex/7771047.stm



A tragic story about a girl who had ME since she was 14 and was mostly bedridden. Doctors had at times labelled her attention-seeking as if she CHOSE to be that ill. I have heard many people say that they resent the implication by practitioners of certain therapies that if a particular therapy doesn't work for you it's your fault because you don't WANT to get better. The arrogance of perfectly healthy people never ceases to amaze me! People like the GP I had when I got my diagnosis who put in my notes that I "seemed content with that diagnosis" - as if yeah ok I'll accept that, it may not be real but I'll go along with it. I don't exactly know how he thought I was supposed to react - very strange. How could anyone for a moment believe that this girl's family didn't do everything within their human capabilities to make their daughter's life better. I personally wd give anything to be able to go back to work, have another child, run a marathon, etc etc etc. This is not a lifestyle choice and this is not how I planned my life to be. For whatever reason everything Lyn's family tried was all futile and she had had enough. Thankfully I have rarely been that low and never been completely bedridden but that sense of futility and despair, the feeling that you have no future to look forward to, the depression every time they tried something new and it failed, I can relate to as can every ME sufferer the world over. Someone suggested all the support groups, all the sufferers, all the supportive medical professionals (they do exist, really) shd consult her parents to name a day when we can all remember amazing people like Lyn and her mother and remind the world what a very real, debilitating illness this is. I know we have ME Awareness Day etc but specifically to honour the extraordinary spirit of someone like Lyn who, in spite of being so ill for so long, still managed to keep hoping, keep fighting, keep raising money and awareness. Sadly it all got too much for her but we must never forget how much she and her family did to further the cause of other ME sufferers. RIP Lyn, may you not have died in vain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/334716.stm
This is an excellent article about how this illness is soooo much more than just being tired. For all those ignorant people who make comments like "we all get tired sometimes" and "I'd love to not work and just sit around all day".

Oh dear I seem to be having a campaigning day! Maybe it's because I have no strength today to do anything physical so I'm glued to my pooter. Legs are killing me, can't keep my eyes open and short of breath...and hey this is an average day. C'est la vie.

No comments: